• Dr. Alka Sharma is currently Adviser in the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India. She is dealing with research and policy issues in the emerging areas of biotechnology such as stem cells & regenerative medicine; biomedical engineering & biodesign; medical technology innovation; National Biopharma Mission; vaccine research; maternal & child health; public health nutrition, make in India programme, Bioclusters, etc.
• She has made significant contributions in the areas of med-tech innovation (Biodesign programme) with national and international partners; early and late translational research on stem cells & regenerative engineering. She played a pivotal role in setting up bioclusters across the country for innovation driven research and technology development. She has been instrumental in commercialization of indigenous and affordable technologies for a large number of patients in urban/rural settings. Her efforts have resulted in creation of several start-ups; functional biomedical device prototypes; transfer of technologies; creation of a pool of med-tech innovators.
• She is actively involved in formulating various legislations. She is also the Nodal Officer of the premier national Institutes: i) Stem Cell Science & Regenerative Medicine, Bangalore with Centre for Stem Cell Research, CMC, Vellore as its translational unit; ii) Translational Health Science and Technology Institute, iii) Regional Centre for Biotechnology..
• She is member of various policy related Committees of the Government of India and Member of the Committee of Indo-US S&T Forum;
• She has received training at the Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, NIH, USA for the management of extramural programmes;
• She has received “CSIR Technology Award for Innovation” for her work.